9: Tooth Gem Aftercare
- Do not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes after application
- Do not be tempted to touch the tooth for 30 minutes after application
- Try not to use excess force when brushing or use an electric toothbrush on that tooth. Simply turn the electric off & brush the tooth normally.
- If you’re using at home teeth whitening products, do not put them directly on the gem.
- Be mindful that sticky, tacky, or hard foods as well as soda will wear at the bond.
- It's important to always follow a regular dental routine with brushing and flossing your teeth.
9.1 Tips & Tricks
Tips for Gold Gems:
- If you’re applying a gold gem, there are some things you should be mindful of. You want to make sure the gold lays on the tooth as flat as possible with no edges sticking up. There are a few things you can do to ensure this. 1. Take your toothpick and place the center of the gold gem on the tapered end of the toothpick. Press down on both sides. This will bend the gold gem slightly so it lays flatter on the tooth.
- When applying the gold, you may need to add some extra bond around the parameter of the gem & on the corners. This will ensure no bacteria can get under the gem but also makes sure there are no sharp edges sticking up that could cause the client harm or discomfort. To check, once you’ve placed the gold & have completed the procedure, ask the client to close their mouth to see if they feel any discomfort. Then have them run their tongue across the gem. If they feel anything sharp, then apply more bond to that area.
You can explain to your clients that they will feel the gem for a few days. The brain will get used to the gem, and they will forget it’s even there.
- Don’t ever put gems super close to the gum lines or gaps between the teeth. You want your client to maintain normal healthy mouth care. The client should be able to brush their teeth and floss normally.